Dark Fantasy Mania
Dark Fantasy Mania
Dark Fantasy Mania
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for fantasy writers as in the Medieval Era.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Crystal Cavern

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Agent LastWish

Agent LastWish

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Gaeon slithered deep into the cavern. As soon as he saw that he was out of sight of any and all wary eyes that could be watching him, he changed into human form. While many people would get lost here, he knew every twist and turn. Walking carefully down the winding narrow trail, he finally reached the small chasm he called home.
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Alrog looked warily around. He was walking down into the cavern from a side passage that lead up into one of the larger caverns. He had managed to slip away from Ari and Athralasae, two siblings who stuck to him like glue whenever he came around. The Crystal Cavern was a place held sacred to the Dwarf people and strangers were strictly forbidden. Alrog was no stranger to them, but he was, nevertheless, an outsider. He was half-Dwarf and that was a disgrace and shame to the little people. One of their own had been careless enough to mix with a human, an outsider. He was the living reminder of that shame. Even after so many years, they still treated him with hostility and skeptism. He was a simply bard, but they viewed him as they would an enemy.

Eyes peering through the darkness from under his hood, which was drawn low over his face to help disguise him, he made out a faint glow from somewhere down below. Excitement shot through him, but he managed to keep his pace even and footfalls silent as he drew ever nearer to the majesty just below him. The bard’s years were great, but he had never had the fortune or privilege to find his way to the Cavern before this time. So it was that he was anxious not to botch this or get caught. If he was, he would never get another chance; it was all or nothing.

In a satchel over his shoulder, he carried the one worldly item of any value to him; a carefully carved lyre. It was his pride and joy; and, as he made his way still deeper into the underworld of Scopulous, it bounced gently against him, a token of the world above. One gnarled hand clutched his oaken staff as the half-Dwarf drew steadily nearer.
Back to top Go down
https://fantasyworldmania.rpg-board.net
Agent LastWish

Agent LastWish

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 3:04 pm

Gaeon felt his stomach gurgle. He was, no doubt hungry. The only problem was: what to eat? He, of course could venture into the outside world and kill a buffalo to eat, be he was never fond of killing, even if it meant food. There was the option of the Trade Place, but that would mean being around other creatures, which he did not want. He could always beg... But that was disgraceful for a human. But for a ragged baby kitten... Yes, a ragged baby kitten mewling his head of, certainly only the cold-hearted would turn him away.

The small cave in which Gaeon had made his home was very cozy; it has a small nest for him to sleep on, and even a small fireplace (of course, pores in the crystal carried away the smoke and harmful gasses). The entrance to his home was a narrow crack in the wall, only the smallest of creatures could squeeze in, and a young cheetah cub was just the right size.

Squeezing out of the crack, Gaeon transformed himself back into his human form, when he heard something he did not like: footsteps. Growling to himself, he changed into dragon form, ready to ward off whatever dwarf or pesky child had come his way.
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 3:26 pm

A few more steps and he would be at his destination. The old and bent man carefully made his way down the rest of the tunnel and found himself in the Crystal Cavern. Blue light filtered softly downwards to pool on the cavern floor in dark patches. Different crystal formations grew along the walls, along the top of the cavern and even between the clear pools of water that had collected in various depressions. It was cold, eerie, and he could tell exactly why the Dwarfs held it in such reverence.

Alrog would certainly have enjoyed his first few steps into the cavern far more if there had not been an enormous dragon awaiting him there. For a moment, he just stood there. A few moments later, he was still standing there; a tiny, old man leaning on a tall staff of oak, gazing up at it.

"Would you mind?" he asked, sounding irritated. "Neither of us are supposed to be here, so the least you can do is back off." It was in his nature to be blunt and argumentative, though it was unwise to be so with a dragon only a few feet away.

Back to top Go down
Agent LastWish

Agent LastWish

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 3:48 pm

Gaeon was taken back by the old man's vigor. Stretching down his head, within and inch of the old man's face he hissed two simple words: "Get out," then, raising his head he growled. "You do not belong here. This is my domain. Leave,"
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 3:57 pm

Alrog brought himself up to his full height, which was only five feet even, and looked the dragon in the eye. His hood fell back and an ancient face was revealed, wrinkled and with eyebrows so bushy that they obscured his eyes. A thick, which beard hung to his waist, almost seeming to glow in the odd light of the Cavern. Defiance was written all over his face and his gnarled hands tightened their grip on his staff.

"Ancient One, this is as much your domain as it is mine. My ancestors on my father's side dwelled in these halls." The half-Dwarf glared at the dragon from under his bushy eyebrows. "I refuse to move," he challenged the beast. "Stand down."

Back to top Go down
Agent LastWish

Agent LastWish

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 4:20 pm

Gaeon lowered his gaze. Scales ruffled he growled. After an intense stare down, he finally gave in. "Fine," he growled. Some how, the little dwarf had called his bluff: sno way could Gaeon hurt him.
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 4:31 pm

Alrog looked extremely pleased with himself. It wasn't every day one met a dragon in the Crystal Cavern, had a mild disagreement with it, and then was able to walk away unharmed. He especially, for that matter. When he got into an argument with anything, there was at least one person wishing him ill at the end of it. Big deal, it wasn't his fault that he enjoyed a good quarrel.

"You can call me 'Alrog'," Alog introduced himself to the dragon. "I am a man of many places, so it would be dishonest of me to say that I'm from around here. And you... what's your name?"

ooc: Agent, we have a minimum number of words per post: fifty. Please take care to meet this requirement.
Back to top Go down
Agent LastWish

Agent LastWish

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 4:43 pm

"My name is irrelevant," Gaeon hissed shortly. This man here must surely had been to the Delta, and that being, even if he hadn't there was no doubt he'd heard of Gaeon's sad story. He had no desire to attract attention and be driven out of yet another land. Nearly ever child had been told a different version of his story as a night time tale, and every parent had there own opinion of him, whether he be hero or villain. And this older gentleman no doubt had his own opinion of the Cursed Chimera.

OOC sorry...
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 4:50 pm

"Try me," Alrog challenged. He raised one, busy eyebrow to glare at the creature better. "Go on, what's so special about yours? We don't know each other, have never met until today, so why are you acting so scared?"

The half-Dwarf was more than determined to figure out who or what this dragon was now that it had made it clear to him that that information was classified. Well, if that was the case, he had no qualms with trying to break down the barriers to find out that information, if only because it was forbidden and would cause trouble.

ooc: No worries! But please count that as your first warning
Back to top Go down
Agent LastWish

Agent LastWish

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 5:03 pm

Gaeon narrowed his eyes. "My name is nothing special. And I am not scared. I am scared of nothing, especially not you. To me, you are nothing but a bite sized morsel!" he growled, nostrils flared. "What is it of yours to be so concerned?" he asked cooly. Another snarl played at his lips. His nostrils turned red and glowed from the fire and heat that was building up. "What? Determining if I am a threat to your town? Figuring out in your tiny little head whether or not it is necessary to run me out of this land? Trying to work out how many men it would take in a mob to kill me?!" he roared angrily.
OOC Urk... okay, wont happen again Smile
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 7:12 pm

"I do not live in the company of others, or at least, not company as you see it," Alrog addressed the dragon. "I am a traveling mistral, a bard, and while I would be upset if you destroyed the Dwarfs that hold these caverns sacred, it would also be of little consequence to me. I have nothing to gain and nothing to lose... I am simply here to pay respect to my ancestors and discover why these caverns are so hallowed."

He thought he did a fairly good job of sounding wiser than he really was, but that was up to the dragon to decide that. It seemed far too emotional to be a dragon, however. Too unpredictable and too easy to anger and rage. So what was amiss? He did not know and wondered if whether or not he cared to find out.

Back to top Go down
Agent LastWish

Agent LastWish

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 7:35 pm

"I am not going to destroy you," Gaeon hissed impatiently. "I have no intention of being destroying anyone," He muttered. "I simply wish to be left alone. I call this place my home. And while I understand that you call this place sacred but I call this place my home, and I am not appreciative of tresspasseers," He growls.

It was at this point at which he wished he could shape-shift back into a little cheetah cub and slip into the little crack in the wall, which he was well aware that the dwarf was much to big to fit into the little crack. Not that he was fat, per say, it was just little cheetah cubs -and all felines for that matter- had an uncanny way of fitting themselves int the smallest of spaces. And the old man looked much to... old... to be able to fit nto a little hole of that size.
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 8:00 pm

"Then we are at an impass," Alrog said, quite calmly. "I cannot compete with you physically and you're no match for my brains."

He smiled knowingly at the dragon, whom he was labling 'Nameless One' in his mind. Nameless appeared hostile, but since he said that he had no desire to hurt or attack anyone, he deduced that the hostility was all display. He wanted him out, while he wanted in. Well, he was staying for the meanwhile and that was the end of that.
Back to top Go down
Agent LastWish

Agent LastWish

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 8:10 pm

"Tell me, Alrog, what do you know of the Legend of Gaeon?" Gaeon asked casually, trying not to give too much hint to the fact that he was indeed the Gaeon of the legend. He, of course, had no intention of ever telling him of his name, for to do so would also tell him that he was a Chimera and not the dragon that he had passed himself off as. And to relieve that little tidbit of information was dangerous, as it coud have him stripped of his ability to transform, and then he would be just another nameless animal.
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 1:24 pm

"Of Gaeon?" Alrog asked sharply. He gave Nameless a sharp look from under his bushy eyebrows. His mind began to piece two and two together. Why the dragon was behaving so oddly, why it had gotten so worked up upon his entering the normally abandoned cavern... Was it possible? Because if it was, that would make Nameless... There was no sure way to find out unless Nameless revealed his true identity and Alrog had no way of forcing him to do so.

After a while, he spoke, very slowly. "Gaeon is a lost soul," he replied at long last. "A creature of infinite potential, he misused his gifts and now lives in hiding. No one alive has seen his broken spirit to my knowledge." As he spoke, he carefully watched Nameless' reaction.
Back to top Go down
Agent LastWish

Agent LastWish

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 1:38 pm

Gaeon was unsure what to do with that information. He had a wretched feeling that the old dwarf was on to him, although he said nothing about it. In fact, he gave no indication what so ever of his inner nervousness. He merely blinked and nodded.

"Hm. Thank you. I know it seems to be an odd question but I have long been intrigued by the stories of those who have been cursed. Ever since a run in with a warlock many years ago, I have been fascinated with the idea of curses. Gaeon's story has peaked my interest most. The idea that a simple curse could prevent a creature from dying, as to say, give him immortallity as a punishment... it just seems rather odd to me. I ask you only because you are a traveller and must have heard much on the subject," Gaeon said simply.
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 2:11 pm

That told Alrog all he needed to know. Why, in the name of Heaven and Earth, would a dragon have any interest in curses? They were irrelevant to such a creature and it would never learn to use them anyway. Only humans with that kind of power could manipulate power in that way and, from what he knew, dragons held humans in utter contempt. They did not necessarily look down on them, but it was clear who was higher in rank.

"So, Gaeon," he said to Nameless, deciding to go out on a limb here. "How have you been able to live down here for so long without being detected? I've never heard of a dragon in this cavern, in particular, until several minutes ago." He leaned on his staff and looked up at Nameless with detached curiosity in his eyes. If this worked... If he took the bait... he would know.
Back to top Go down
Agent LastWish

Agent LastWish

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Panic flashed in his eyes, but he forced a stifled laugh. "You think I am Gaeon? Do not be silly. And to answer your question, not many travelers get this deep into the cave. And I never usually, venture out this far. I was simply feeling... curious. No, I usually remain much, much deeper in the cave," Gaeon said simply.

It was a source of much panic to him that he could have been that careless to ask such a stupid question. Of course such a question was going to raise suspicion especially when he was unwilling to even say his name.
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Alrog noted the panic in Nameless' eyes before he forced it away. So, the dragon was really whatever creature Gaeon really was. He was unsure how that worked, exactly, but there was no longer any doubt in his mind as to what he was dealing with. He would have to tread lightly now, or at least, as lightly as he ever would. And, being Alrog, that wasn't lightly at all. After all, what was the point in living life without a little risk?

He walked past Gaeon, not paying him any mind and took a seat by one of the pools in the rock formation, still marveling at all he saw around him. Not saying a word, he slipped the strap of his bag over his shoulder and set it next to him, pulling out his lyre as he did so. Still ignoring the creature, he tuned his instrument with great care. Each time he plucked one of the strings, the sound echoed and reverberated. The sound was marginal, but it had a nice effect all the same.

"Well, I am not an ordinary traveler, am I?" the bard asked him while he tuned up. "And I can't have been among the first down here. These Crystal Caverns are highly venerated and rite of passage ceremonies take place all the time down here... and I've known the Healers to seek guidance in this underworld."

Finished with his tuning, he looked at the creature expectantly. "Fancy a tune?"
Back to top Go down
Agent LastWish

Agent LastWish

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 3:42 pm

"A tune?" Gaeon couldnt help but to ask. He thought the old dwarf to be a bit of a character. The dwarf wa defiantly a bit odd... Who comes across a dragon in a cave and asks it if it wants to hear a tune? It certainly was very odd... But it was not everyday that the Chimera got to here a little ballad, escpecially with being in hidding and all. What's the harm? he though to himself. "Sure," Gaeon finally said. "I suppose I wouldn't mind,"
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 5:24 pm

The bard strummed the strings thoughtfully for a moment, thinking. What should he play today? What song would go with the atmosphere... and the age old dragon? Then it came to him and he felt that he should have known it all along.

"This is the 'Song of the Wolf'," the old half-Dwarf said, raising one, long gnarled finger. "Listen and hear, hear and remember, remember and learn."

Then he began a song with no words, but full of a haunting longing. It told a wordless tale of one who constantly searched for something that they could not find, days filled with hunting for a purpose, endurance, and tragedy. It was a ballad that even most grown men had trouble keeping the tears out of their eyes with. It contained beauty and pain, love and sorrow, despair and hope.

Alrog played with his eyes closed, hands moving nimbly over the strings with the skill of a master. The echos only enhanced the spell of the music, giving it an unearthly quality. When the final notes shimmered into silence, Alrog bowed his head. His performance was over and he dared not be the one to break the magic.
Back to top Go down
Agent LastWish

Agent LastWish

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Gaeon say there, unmoving throughout the song. It was a beautiful song, one that, no doubt had special meaning to him. It was the perfect fitting song, perfectly matching the sad story of Gaeon, his own sad, sad story. He didn't really have anything much to say after the song had ended. He didn't really want to break such a pristine silence. Finally, though, he tilted his head up and nodded. "Thank you," he said quietly.

He lifted his head up to survey the cave, not really wanting to say much else. I wanted desperatey to change back into my human form, but to do so would give me away as a Chimera. Perhaps then, I would simply tell him I was a wizard. Yes, that might work.
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 9:34 pm

Alrog smirked at Nameless' total lack of reaction. He wished that he could see inside the great mind, to know what he was thinking, and how he was responding to it within himself. Well, maybe a lighter tune would get a reaction from the creature. Something happy and fun to play. He didn't know, but he didn't have it in him to play another sad song now. The cavern needed lightening up. With sudden inspiration, he plucked a note and launched into a seaman's chant. It was fast, lighthearted, and simple to play, though the sound produced was pleasing. This one could be played more enthusiastically than the 'Song of the Wolf' because its only purpose was to entertain. He started humming along, bobbing his head to the beat of the music.

ooc: Wow, I can't believe I wrote something so tiny! xD
Back to top Go down
Agent LastWish

Agent LastWish

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Gaeon couldn't help but to happily bob his head along. This wa a song he's heard many times before.
Minera and Phantasia stumbled along into the mouth of the cavern. The two stumbled along. And after almost a half an hour of walking, Minerva began to hear music. "Phantasia," she said. "Do you hear that?" she asked, staining an ear. She couldn't tell if there was actually music going on, or if she was just crazy. The winged tiger grunted in response. Suddenly, a little switch clicked. She stumbled along much much faster towards the sound. "Alrog?" she called. "Alrog that be you?" she called.

OOC gr... Stupid brain. I've got a cold and don't have the attention span to write much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Crystal Cavern Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Cavern   Crystal Cavern I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crystal Cavern
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dark Fantasy Mania :: The Five Realms :: Scopulous :: Crystal Cavern-
Jump to: