Dark Fantasy Mania
Dark Fantasy Mania
Dark Fantasy Mania
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for fantasy writers as in the Medieval Era.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Walking Down The Road

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GavinP
GavinP

Walking Down The Road Empty
PostSubject: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 5:15 pm

Gavin walked down the road with Indigo. Then Indigo ran out "Sh!t! Indigo come here!" Then to top off his day, one of the shadows 'minions' properly soldiers but he calls them minions came out with Indigo hand grabbed on her fur.

"This your mutt" The soldier growled at the boy. Then an evil smile crossed his lips. "Your the little rebellion instigator aren't you?"

Gavin rolled his eyes "No, I'm the one who asked about rebellion, with no idea of starting it!" He looks at the soldier "Now... PUT MY WOLF DOWN!" He spat at the soldier

"Watch your tongue boy or you may not have one" He lets the wolf go "Now get away before I say to the master you were trying to leave" The soldier starts laughing

Gavin bites his lip to stop any comebacks from escaping just wait until I DO escape then we'll see whos laughing "Whatever" He finally says "Come on Indigo, back home" The wolf walks on forward and gavin balls his fists. The balls of water appear again he quickly makes them disappear before the soldier notices and runs out

The soldier glanced what looked like water from the corner of his eye. He assumed he was just imagining things. Clearly he was wrong.
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 8:59 am

Merthissa had stood on the border between Caligo and Sylvia three nights ago, staring coldly into the shadowy visage that greeted his aging eyes. Now he had taken the road into the realm that was once his home. He was dressed simply in trousers and a shirt, but a long grey robe concealed his appearance. The tattered hood was drawn up to fall over his face, casting what little you could see into shadow. He cut an unassuming figure; a hunched older gentleman clutching a polished oak staff for support. In reality, the staff served a dual purpose, but one would never suspect from just looking at him. It wasn't a surprise to him that people were allowed into Caligo... but to leave? As if. The Shadow was not one to let innocents escape his grasp when their minds were still weak enough for him to exploit for his own purposes. But he had escaped once; he could do it again in a pinch. And he was far stronger now than he had ever been back in his younger days. And with strength came a cruelty that many had learned the hard way was formidable.

Adriele, perched on his shoulder, was awake. She clicked her beak and squeezed his shoulder slightly before spreading her wings and launching herself into the air. Her enormous, pale green eyes scanned the ground below her as it fell rapidly away from her. Her master looked up as she flew away and the little owl could almost physically feel his eyes on her. Twenty years or more and he still hadn't lost his over-protective nature when it came to her. A dry wind stirred behind, causing her to rise higher into the air. The owl let it carry her onward, faster than her master could ever go on foot. Only a mile down the road, her sharp eyes spied something. A soldier of The Shadow seemed to have found an escapee.

What do you see? Merthissa's hard voice broke into her thoughts. Anyone on the road?

One soldier, one boy... you do the math, Adriele replied swiftly. Her master had taught her telepathy long ago, but she had never gotten used to it the way he had. Maybe it was a thing for the wing-less, she didn't know.

A mile away, Merthissa processed this information. He didn't give a damn about the boy and his plight, but if he could help him out, that would put him in his debt... and he had a favor for the child. Not that the kid would have a choice in the matter, but there were many ways to play the game. The wizard smiled coldly and quickened his pace, speeding down the road towards the two. He sent his owl a quick, telepathatic message: Adirele, drive off the soldier, would you? Please? This is important. It was only to his owl that he asked favors of. She had options whereas he delivered orders to all others.

Now only a half mile away from her master, Adriele received the instruction. The call of a Screech Owl is a frightening sound, and she opened her beak and emitted a sound like a woman being tortured. She circled above the soldier's head, noticing that he wasn't wearing a helmet. That would make things easy. With another petrifying call, she tucked in her wings and went into a dive, speeding towards the ground with speed unlike any the wing-less might possess. Before he knew what had happened, her sharp beak drove into his scull with immeasurable force and the soldier crumpled to the ground, dead. She adjusted her wings slightly and drifted gently to the ground, looking up at the boy with enormous green eyes. She couldn't communicate with him telepathically, so she opened her beak and spoke in the crude language of humans: "You stay. Master coming." Soldier is dead, she relayed to her master. Hurry.

Merthissa chuckled darkly. Almost there. He had no intention of hurting the child yet... for helping him escape had its benefits. Perhaps later on if he was displeasing, but for now, no. He needed him.

ooc: I kinda assume that you've been waiting too long for someone to post here. So I did! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://fantasyworldmania.rpg-board.net
GavinP
GavinP

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 10:00 am

Seeing the soldier die I looked at the creature that made him die. An owl. I give out two quick whistles for indigo to stay hidden but close to me. I grip the hilt of my sword tightly "who is coming?" All I needed was another minion ts bad enough the shadows is making a reappearance all he needs is to be captured.

Then it hit me, if they wanted me captured they would have got the owl to do something to knock me out so I wouldn't make a fuss and wouldn't know what had happened. My grip lessens on the sword but I keep a clear mind so when the time comes there will be no hesitation on fighting
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 10:23 am

Adriele's head swiveled from side to side. An eighth of a mile away, she could see her master. There was blood on her beak and she preened herself so as to be presentable before answering. "My master," she said with maddening mystery. She had no intention of revealing his identity to this boy without his expressed permission, and her master was one for dramatics; he wouldn't soon forgive her for ruining his element of surprise. She felt bad for the boy and his situation, but she also knew that if he was smart and did what her master told him to die, he could make a huge jump forward in life. Her master wasn't a man anyone wanted to cross, but it was better to be on his good side rather than his bad.

Merthissa slowed his breakneck pace as he entered the boy's line of vision. He walked very upright, hand clutching his staff. Numerous symbols and odd designs were carved into it, but the one that stood out was on the knob of the staff: A burning ship, sinking beneath the sea. It was his own, personal symbol. However, the boy had been born in Caligo, he wouldn't recognize him. That was largely due to the fact that information was carefully controlled and monitored by The Shadow, but also because he had not been in the realm for many a year.

"Adriele, thank you," he said slowly, drawing level with the two. He held out an arm and Adriele spread her wings and flew up to perch on his wrist. He turned his hooded face to the boy. The child could not be more than ten and seven summers, with short black hair and the tanned skin of someone who spent a lot of time in the sun. The boy towered above him, but most people did and he wasn't concerned. If he got any ideas as to try to overpower him, he could kill him easily. He fixed the boy with his pale-eyed stare. "I'll take it for granted that you're a runaway," he said. It was not a question, but he was looking for confirmation.
Back to top Go down
GavinP
GavinP

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 11:23 am

the master? Who was the master? Finally I see somebody come into view, a small hooded figure. I whistle for indigo and she comes to my side. I look at the figure when it stops. I look down at him and raise an eyebrow. They then asked a question, I shook my head calmly "no I am not trying to escape as he found out" I say nodding to the dead soldier. "Are you a newcomer? If you are turn back before somebody sees you here" I warn
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 11:34 am

Merthissa smiled. "There are those of us who would rather live free than spend their lives in the shadow of the most powerful being in the realms." He spat bitterly. The lad had to be lying. There was no way that he could not want to get out of this hellhole. And he needed the child too, this wasn't a chance that he could afford to let slip by him. He needed the amulet and he couldn't go after it himself, not now. He was offering to boy a good deal if he would only see it: escape with him now, or spend the rest of his life trapped her. Once one got out for the first time, it couldn't be all that hard to do it again. The idiot could always come back if he was really as stupid as to want to.

"I'm going to offer you a deal, boy," Merthissa said coldly in a way that offered no argument. "I will get out of here alive and in the very immediate future if you will help me out in turn by tracking down a little Elf girl and taking away from her a certain object." He threw back his hood and his pale, blue eyes glittered pitilessly. The moonlight threw strange shadows on his face, accenting the cruel features. It was not a face that one took lightly. Adriele hooted softly on his shoulder, enormous eyes fixed on the teenager. "What's it going to be?"
Back to top Go down
GavinP
GavinP

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 1:30 pm

"Look at me. Does it look like I give in to the Shadows power?" I shrug "And dont think I'm lying to you, if I wanted to escape I could have many times. There dont seem to be as many of his minions around to try to stop me." I listen to his offer which I wouldnt consider an offer more of an order. "Well calling it an offer implies choice, do I have any?" I ask cautiously, I never wanted to make any enemies but if this man wanted me to do anything inhumane I would have to refuse.
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 2:05 pm

"Telling you that you have a choice would imply lies," Merthissa shot back nastily. "Look, boy. The Shadow would be more than happy to kill me on sight. Ever heard of an aura, boy? The more powerful you are, the stronger it is." He laughed coldly. "That means that as soon as I use any one of my myriad powers on you, his attention would be instantly alerted; one powerful being draws another." His smile was not a pleasant one. "I don't know why you would want to stay in this forsaken realm. There are four others, you know. You could aid in the rebellion."
Back to top Go down
GavinP
GavinP

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 2:37 pm

I listen to his lecture and sigh. "You're not the only one who the shadow would kill, he wouldnt kill me on sight but he would torture me within a millimetre to death then let me go and recover. Ever heard of the cat and mouse game? The cat catches the mouse then lets it go making it believe it is free, but once everythings back to normal the cat pounces on the mouse." I explain "That is what the show does to me when he finds me" I sigh "As long as I do no inhumane actions then I'd happily escape but I am not taking part in a rebellion, I've already been accused of instigating a rebellion and I do not lie. So I will not be made out as a liar to the Shadow"
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 2:48 pm

A scowl of disgust twisted Merthissa's face. "You're not one of his slaves, boy. You have a brain, do you not? Where I am taking you, you need not fear The Shadow. Do you want to see him dead or not, boy?" He pounded his staff against the ground in anger and black flames spiraled up and down the polished wood and the carved symbols shone eerily in the half-light of the moon. "Your time is running out." He was starting to get impatient with the lad, who clearly needed to sort out his priorities. Help him and get away, or stay stuck in here. It wasn't a hard choice.

Adriele looked at the boy sadly. She almost regretting killed the soldier for his sake.
Back to top Go down
GavinP
GavinP

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 2:57 pm

"I know I am not his slave!" I say infuriated. "He is the only one who knows what happened to my mother. Whether he killed her or not!" Rage builds up in side of my body. I look at the staff glowing on fire. "If you want to kill me go ahead, I do not fear the shadow nor do I fear you!" I clench my fists and the water appears but I dont notice it. Indigo growls at him "Indigo stay!" I order
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 3:29 pm

"Boy, you're a Legacy," Merthissa snapped. "Your Mother was an Elemental spirit, got it? I am not going to kill you. Now make up your mind!" He was in a foul mood now and the boy's impulsive nature wasn't helping him in the slightest. Kids. Now he knew exactly why he had never wanted to have a child. Goddess, this was ridiculous. He pulled his hood back over his head and made a violent motion with his staff. Instantly, the flames receded, if reluctantly, and the symbols became just carvings again.
Back to top Go down
GavinP
GavinP

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 3:49 pm

Starting to calm down a bit I look at him "Whats a legacy?" I ask fiddling with the crystal around my neck. "And sure, if you can get me out of here safely then I'll come" I decide. It has to be a better option than being found again, and tortured, and nearly killed. I could see this guy could kill me if he wanted to but he must not have wanted to.

Last edited by GavinP on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 5:56 pm

"Walk with me," Merthissa commanded in way of answer, satisfaction tinging his voice. "I will take you to Sylvia... and fill you in along the way." With that, he chuckled unpleasantly and started marching back down the road in the direction he had come.

The boy had little true idea of what it was that he had just gotten himself into, but if he was up for adventure as most boys his age seemed to be, then he was not to be disappointed. He had no intention of using the boy for anything other than trying to get to the amulet and after it had been delivered to him, the boy would be free to go. On the other had... he wasn't about to reveal that most of the others whom had been sent after the object had seldom returned. A Legacy, though... and one of Water, too. The carrier of the amulet was a child of Fire, as he had been quick to learn, and he had never employed anyone who had such the potential to finally bring her down as the boy did... If he had learned his powers and was ready and willing to use them...

Adriele spread her wings and took off once more. She rarely sat still on her master's shoulder when she could fly and she was anxious not to stay down for long in this forsaken land. It reeked of monsters, of evil... of everything that her master personified and, at the same time, hoped to bring an end to. It was a strange combination, it was, for her master was not a totally bad man; he just had an unfortunate way of achieving his ends. The boy was in no danger as long as he kept his head and did was he was told; all she hoped was that he didn't try to anger him. If that happened, it would be all over.

ooc: Gavin, could you edit the grammar in your last sentence? O.o
Back to top Go down
GavinP
GavinP

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 6:41 pm

I start walking but realise he's going quite fast and struggle to keep up. "Firstly, could you slow down a little?" I sigh and then notice the unpleasant laugh he gave. what was that about? I think but know its best not to say anything. "Indigo, come on" I call back for the wolf who follows but growls a little. "There's no need for that" I say smiling. It looks like I was right, if Indigo doesn't trust him then neither should I, she's never been wrong with her feelings on who to trust and who not to trust.
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 6:50 pm

Merthissa made an impatient noise through his nose when the boy asked him to slow down. Goddess, he was probably at thirty or so years the boy's senior. He should be the one asking him to slow down, not the other way around. Still, it would do no good to lose his hold on him now. He shorted his pace with clear reluctance.

"Alright," he said, once the boy had caught up to him. "Where do you want me to begin, boy?"

He fully intended to tell the boy who he was so that he could better track down the amulet, but it was entertaining to keep him in the dark when he obviously wanted to know what he'd meant.
Back to top Go down
GavinP
GavinP

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 7:26 pm

"Thank you" I said as he slowed down. Starting to think on where to start a million ideas popped into my head. Who was he? Why did he leave without gathering people if he knew how to leave? Why does the shadow hate him so much? How did he escape successfully? Why does he need me? I decide to go with the first question. "Who are you?"
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 7:35 pm

"Merthissa," Merthissa answered him. He did not elaborate, it was not necessary. Sooner or later, the boy would learn. "This is the part where you reveal your name now," he informed him without breaking stride.

His eyes were fixed on Adriele, flying up ahead. Her graceful silhouette crossed that of the moon and he would have smiled if he had not all but forgotten how to smile a real, natural smile. Seemingly tireless feet trod onward relentlessly, never slowing, never faltering. His mind was showing him a steady stream of images from his last time in this desolate place...
Back to top Go down
GavinP
GavinP

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 7:46 pm

"I'm Gavin" I never elaborated either. "Next question" I say struggling to keep up again but don't say anything, considering that last time he hardly slowed down and he did so with resistance. "Leaving Caligo why didn't you take anybody with you?" I ask and look at Indigo, finding her was the best thing that happened to him. She continued to watch the owl and I smile she'll watch that while I watch Merthissa
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 8:00 pm

Merthissa smiled coldly. "You have to either be very desperate or very brave to make a break for it. Most die on the way out."

And that was exactly why taking the road out was an incredibly stupid thing to do. Unfortunately, leaving the road would be just as stupid as staying on it. The road was full of sharp twists and turns, so that if one left, it was in no way guarantee that they would ever find their way back again. That was why it was helpful to have someone like Adriele, who could fly and relay information as she went along.

See anything? Merthissa asked Adriele swiftly. It would do no good to run into anyone on this stretch, not now.

Adriele, up ahead, heard her master's question. However, she took her time in answering him. No one of consequence, she informed him. There's a vampire moving in the opposite direction after what appear to be some wisps drifting around.

Oh yeah, only a vampire. Over-sized bats... With a shake of his head, he cleared his mind and severed the connection. If it started to come in their direction, Adriele would alert him. There was nothing to worry about.
Back to top Go down
GavinP
GavinP

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 9:43 am

I look around "Or you could just grin and bare it" I shrug. Indigo runs off and comes back with a rabbit in her mouth "Thanks Indy" I roll my eyes and try not to laugh. I begin to think of the next question to ask. "What about your family?" I ask. Being abandoned by your parents is tough but I survived it. "Where are they now?"
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 11:00 am

"They hung for my escape," Merthissa said with a shrug. He couldn't care less now, but at the time, he had been rather upset about it. His parents had been killed for something that they were completely innocent of, all to keep the web of fear from tearing. "Its one way The Shadow keeps control. Fear, boy, don't you know? This whole places reeks with it."

Looking disgusted, he shook his head. Grin and bear it? Was the kid joking? What kind of idiot would be happy with that kind of life? From what he'd heard, it had only gotten worse after he had gotten away. Maybe they were brainwashing the people, which would explain the boy's clear lack of brain power.
Back to top Go down
GavinP
GavinP

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 5:57 pm

"So why didn't you take them with you?" I ask disgusted. Who in their right mind would leave their family behind? "I prefer to grin and bear it. It shows the shadow he doesn't own you and that you don't give in. Sure it had me tortured a lot but it showed him" I shrug. Fear? "I don't fear the shadow. Then again I think I may be the only one left in Caligo that doesn't fear him" I say sadly
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 6:10 pm

Merthissa almost clubbed him with his staff. "Too scared to run for it. Anyway it's safer to go alone an d my father was in favor with The Shadow; he and my mother thought that they would be safe once I had finally gone. Unfortunately for them, they learned the hard way that The Shadow is without mercy." He said it coldly, he said it without pity or regret. He had been running from The Shadow for several years before he had finally made a break for it and his parents hadn't been hurt then. No. The Shadow liked to toy with people and giving them a false sense of confidence must surely have amused him when the time came to deliver their punishment.

The kid definitely had an ego, though, to assume that he alone in Caligo did not fear The Shadow. For one thing, only an idiot is without fear and only a real idiot would be dumb enough not to fear him... so it only proved his early assumption that the boy was an idiot. Second of all, there were those who cared about their families and what would happen to them if they left. If they cared at all about them, they would stay so as not to have the eternal burden of knowing that they had brought about the death of someone that they loved.

Merthissa walked on in silence. He was ready for the boy's next question, though he clearly wasn't the brightest. Beginning to worry over whether or not he would be capable of stealing the amulet, he gripped his staff tighter. No, that thought wasn't allowed. He had to be. Everything else had failed, or at least backfired. He would have to be the one to succeed.
Back to top Go down
GavinP
GavinP

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 6:46 pm

I roll my eyes. He's making me more and more tempted to reveal to the Shadow his where-a-bouts. I stop abruptly. "Whats with all the prolonged silences?" I ask "A man like you cannot spend that amount of time without saying anything without thinking. So what is it?" I ask sternly. The conversation on family made me remember the years spent growing up making my own way around, no friends, they only slow you down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Walking Down The Road   Walking Down The Road I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Walking Down The Road
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dark Fantasy Mania :: The Five Realms :: Caligo :: The Road-
Jump to: